Thursday, March 1, 2018

Exponential Function FUN with The Money Project!

Last week, on Friday, I realized I need one more major grade for this nine weeks.... and only had one week to get in a new unit and major grade!  No pressure at all.

Our next unit was Exponential functions.  Our curriculum for Math Models deviates quite a bit from Algebra 1 on Exponential Functions (which I have only taught twice before....).  While we are still going to work on the basics, they have a very finance/social science driven curriculum.  Enter: interest rates!  I have never taught them, only had students use them in a senior level course I have taught before.

So Monday when I entered the school and was in a 'hadn't had my coffee need a major grade quick' phase... one of my colleagues recommended a finance project she had.  It seriously covered almost every single TEK (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills- our state Curriculum Standards) I needed for the entire unit!

Project picked, I needed some notes.  In discussion, I learned that almost all interest is now compounded continuously as oppose to our standard Simple and Compound that I've always used.  I searched for some interactive notebook items but came up blank.  I couldn't even find a graphic that explained what exactly the e value in the Pert formula was!

I created this one and am really happy with how it came out.  My students just needed a reference for what everything is.  I was not wanting super intense notes.






Here is the entire project for FREE if you are interested.  This is courtesy my fabulous co-worker, Mrs. Shirly Boots for the original and inspiration.  I added a little more detail as I am making it a major grade and needed a clear rubric and wanted to try and add a little more detail for the students.



In the project, they will draw random amounts from me to use.  I did a variety of amounts $100-$500 and another from $5,000-$9,000.  I've included the amounts in the file as well for you.

As always, these are in both editable and PDF format because of my different font loves! 

Follow Up to my activity.... I am definitely going to 'tweak' the project for next year.  I'm going to make them choose the 2 investments and apply them to both starting amount for an apples to apples comparison.  They will also graph them separately.  I'll share that as well when I complete it.

Please let me know if you see any corrections or have anything to add.

Thank you!
Lisa


No comments: