Monday, May 14, 2018

Dinky King and Murrio! Pythagorean Theorem Edition

So last week was standardized testing.  I needed something to work on for Friday but not super strenuous.  Pythagorean Theorem!  Perfect!

I got some quick notes together then decided I'd like something fun for the assignment.

Enter the genius of Andy Lutwyche.  And I do mean genius!  I love finding assignments that add just a little something different to a pretty standard concept.  Enter Mr. Lutwyche's Dinky King...

How fun is this?!?!  You may download his version here for FREE!!!  It was perfect and pure genius for an 80's nostalgia girl like me... who also happened to have a Mario costume... that she has not worn for school... yet.  Genius.  Thank you Mr. Lutwyche for sharing and allowing me to use Dinky King.  Thank you for making something a little more engaging for our students.  You may follow him on TES here and Twitter here.

And of course Friday went like this....


Notes....

Mrs. Richardson...

Dinky King and Murrio...

It was super fun and the reactions to me dressed as Mario were hilarious.  Made a few Snapchats and during the school emergency later that day, my students found me right away 😏😆😄😃.  My classes will remember Pythagorean Theorem this year!


Mr. Lutwyche's names had me cracking up and of course I emphasized them with the students.

Due to the school-wide emergency, I didn't get to see a couple of my periods and knew they would be bummed out missing me dressed up in class- no one could miss me in the gym!  I decided to continue with Mr. Lutwyche's inspiration and work the theme into an activity for Monday.  This quickly escalated, as most of my planning does, and I ended up with 3 more activities with the 'Murrio' theme.  And yes, I laughed every time I typed Murrio and changed a name.  And yes, I'm easily entertained.

My next lesson was over distance.  I wrote some notes and created a WS where we measured the distance for 'Murrio' and 'Lequigi' had to hit the blocks.  Just a different twist to  some of the same old but necessary practice.


Notes...


Cutest. Worksheet. Ever.
The number line example is actually a font so I could type in exactly what I wanted.  You can download it free here.  I could not wait to hand this assignment out!! #mathnerd.  And the occasional chuckles from the class when they read Lequigi made the extra work worth it!  I will do almost anything to engage my students in math.  This meant they were reading the assignment!!!

For my title and example font, Austie Bost Envelope, you may download it here for FREE.

After this I couldn't stop and even did a 'Murrio' themed Pythagorean Theorem scavenger hunt which I will share later (need to do it in class before I get ahead of myself).

You may download all my resources used above here for FREE. For any keys, please feel free to email me at camfan54@att.net from your school or professional account.  I've had students try and email for keys in the past but luckily their email said student! 

Thank you and please let me know if you see any issues with links or corrections on anything!

And thank you again to my new educational friend, Mr. Lutwyche.  I hope that your inspiration causes me more hours of work and my students more engagement.  

Enjoy,
Lisa


3 comments:

Shannon said...

These are amazing! Thanks for sharing! You've inspired me to dress as Mario next year!

Unknown said...

The link to the sheet is broken :(

Geka u said...

No puedo descargarlo