Monday, April 2, 2018

Exponential vs. Linear Growth Project

Would you rather have $10000 a day or start with a quarter and have it double every day?  



This is the essence of this project for students.  I have done it in both Algebra 1 and Math Models.  I have the 4 most common coin denominations, penny, nickel, dime, and quarter.  Students are first supposed to pick a scenario and tell me why.  They then do the math!

I set it up for 21 days as we use TI-84 graphing calculators and I wanted them to be able to view the tables without dealing with Scientific Notation.  One of our state standards is to compare and identify exponential and linear functions which this project accomplishes.  

On the back of the sheet is a detailed Rubric as well.

We have used this as an activity and a major grade.  The rubric is required for the major grade in our school so you might not need it.

I also make them present the project in front of the class.  Here is my teacher rubric for the presentations.

This year, all students were complete with their math and graphs, ready to start their poster on the 2nd day.  I will have them present the 3rd day.


I also provided them a graph template and gave each group 2, one for each scenario.  This seemed to help as well make a more clean presentation.  




The right hand scenario is based on a Fermi question and they get that amount on the 21st day, therefore you do not add the prior day amount on either scenario.  It's really just to have them apply exponential and linear functions and compare.



This did come at the end of my Exponential Function Unit and they have already done regression in the calculator.



Both years, the students seemed to enjoy this and usually fed into the logic of it by choosing the first scenario.  You, of course, could edit and change the amounts to reflect what you want them to achieve. 





Download all resources here for FREE in Word and PDF.  In the Word version, I used my favorite font, Janda Curlygirl!  You can download it for free here.

Hope you and your students enjoy!

Thanks,
Lisa



No comments: