Monday, April 23, 2018

Around, Around It Goes... Where It Stops, Nobody Knows!!!





This is a dice and spinner activity for Geometric Transformations.  It includes:
Translations
Rotations
Reflections




I'm including the editable copies as well as PDF in case you want to change or edit anything.  I found an activity online for inspiration but did not want dilations on mine as they are covered in a different unit.  Me, being me, of course had to create a new one to fit my students needs.




I have officially done it in class and made modifications as necessary so that I could share it with all of you!  

It was better than I expected only it did not take nearly as long as I thought.  Maybe half a class depending on ability.  

I printed two sets of dice on different colored card stock.  They are numbered so I made sure they received different dice to roll.  

I made 6 unique dice to use.  I never do anything easy if it can be multiple different versions 😋  Here are the first 2:

I laminated and constructed them myself prior to the lesson.  I used tape so I could undo them and easily store them.  Since I had to correct some of them, next year, I might just use large foam dice and tape the new corrected sides to them for ease as hand edited things drive me nuts!!!!??!?!?

I gave all kids a Smart Pal lamination sheet to put their transformation sheets in so they could do multiple without having to erase and get sloppy or torn.  I also made sure that the group or pairs had the same starting shape so they could compare answers.  I just monitored to make sure they were doing it and did not have them turn anything in.


Here are a couple of the 8 sheets I created.  2 unique shapes in each quadrant.

I gave each group 2 dice and a laminated spinner sheet. For the spinner sheet, I also gave each group a paperclip to 'spin'. I left all 3 together on the same sheet for ease and storage.  

I had each group start with rolling one dice and making the transformation.  I them let them decide to use the original or image to do the next roll (hello combinations without realizing they are.... my whole intention!).  After 6 or so one dice translations, I had them roll both dice and perform the combination transformations.  


Everyone seemed to enjoy the activity and do well.  The ability to use the dry erase was definitely the way to go as well.  I did differentiate and sometimes give particular shapes to particular groups.  I just wanted to be able to apply the rules and practice.  There are so many ways you can do it!  

I allowed them all to use their notes for the rules.  

As always, please let me know of any changes or recommendations! 

Download all resources in Word and PDF here for FREE!  
The font used for the titles is Austie Bost Envelopes and you may download it here for free in case you don't want to mess with formatting on the editable versions.


Enjoy,
Lisa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks amazing, as always. I can't wait to try it out!

Lisa Richardson said...

Hope you find a way to use it! Thank you!