Friday, October 5, 2018

Career Headbands

This summer I participated in an Externship grant where we explored and were able to shadow different careers to bring back to our classroom.  Since there are TEKS (state standards) about budgeting and careers, this fit perfectly into Math Models.  Even if it was not a standard, it was a wonderful activity to help our kids explore different careers.  







There are so many different paths out there that I want to show my students to help them find their place.

Of course, I had to add in a couple of fun ones... my son has wanted to be both a Jedi and Pokemon Trainer!!  



I also put descriptions for some of the more difficult to describe/guess careers.  I also provided students with a check off list of all the careers.  There are over 60!


My classes are smaller so I broke it down into front page cards and back page cards.  The students seemed to enjoy it and some learned something new!



I made a direction PowerPoint to display but also explained.

I kind of helped them out with some sample questions and hints like,
Would I work in the mall? or tell them they would work in the mall.
Is it in the medical field?
You would come across someone working this job a lot.

OR the best hint of the day by a student....  "The movie you are in came out in 1977." 😆



The first time, we only did one card each.  This could be done so many times and even as a quick Warm-Up.  

I provided each student a copy of the hint sheet in a dry erase pouch so they could mark off if they wanted.  Even looking through all the jobs, they might see or learn something new. 




And if you do not have the plastic headbands, do not fear as I have a template of one you can use with your students.  I pre-made some and laminated them to save the cutting time and be able to reuse them but if yo plan on using them a lot, I'd have them make their own to keep in their notebooks.





They seemed to enjoy it and hopefully they might have a new idea of what lays ahead in the future!  And just in case you did not know, and Ocularist makes fake eyes!



Get a copy of all my resources here for FREE!!!  the font I used for the titles and career names was A Little Sunshine which you can download for FREE here at dafont.

Enjoy!
Lisa

No comments: