Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Turkeys and/or Peacocks in High School?!?!?

I love crafting!! And as a result, my students get to too!  I had some interactions with kids earlier this semester where they expressed the idea that my activities are elementary or 'lame'.  I told them 'No problem, you can do the plain white not plain worksheet!' To which, I might add, they did not choose :-)   I think it is often overlooked that our older and more mature students have creative sides that we can foster and often have pleasant or even surprising results from.

A lot of times in high school, we feel so rushed that we often don't have time for elaborate activities.  Honestly, the worksheet had a lot more problems than the 'Turkey' activity but the work produced on the turkey was incredible!  How often do your students finish 9 problems of hard work?  Even students that often do not participate in class got in to making the turkeys.




I loved how they expressed their creative sides while finding domain and range.  I was surprised how hard they worked on completing the questions.

I gave notes that I've adapted from Sarah Carter at https://mathequalslove.blogspot.com/search?q=domain+and+range.



I've attached my resources here.  First off, these are math models students so this was not initial instruction just for reference.  I've also included a Peacock Template in case you want to do this later in the year or for review.  I actually had developed this for a different lesson before realizing that we would not get to it before break!  #teacherproblems

I had each group or pair pick up a pair of feathers from each of the 4 colors.  Each page has two problems paired together so you may cut in half.  I did not want them all doing the same problems.  They then solved their set.  In the folder, I have included a blank answer key for you to fill out as you prefer for notation and it makes it quicker when monitoring.  Also, for differentiation, you could make sure certain pairs or students receive the same set.

Of course, I also wanted one of those pesky discrete domain and range word problems so I did that on the background!  I did take 2 days to complete this activity because I wanted them to have plenty of time.

Overall, this was so successful that Geometry decided to use it for some triangle theorem. I'm very proud of the work done and finished as were the kids.  Some even took theirs home to put on the fridge!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is so cute, I would love to do something like this with quadratics. Can you post the template you used for this project?