Monday, November 27, 2017

Desk Hop or Scooting Linear Equations

So standardized math tests in Texas have become reading tests.  I love teaching math and I am comfortable with being the class they all hate and hearing whines of 'I hate math' ring through the room.  I think it's all part of being a high school math teacher and I fully embrace the attitude and let the kids know.  I tell them I understand their plight and their dismal attitude as they walk in my class.  I tell them it's ok to hate me but...

I'm going to teach you math.  I'm going to help you pass that test you need to graduate.  You can hate me but you are going to do it.

For years we have been teaching kids to solve problems.  Equations of all kinds and difficulties but then I slowly came to realize, that they are not just solving equations... they have to read a passage and interpret the information before they can solve.  For the past few years I've worked hard to have kids read and write more in math.

Problem solved right?

Not exactly, it's an ongoing work.  This year I have a different set of kids and see the same difficulties that I always have.  I can't just teach them to solve it.  I can't just focus on the test anymore because these kiddos need more.  They need a reason to solve it.  They need to know what it is.  They need to put the phones down and stop SnapChatting through my notes!!!!! ;-)

These kids are older and need to be able to use the math in the real world.

They need to be able to read and interpret math and use their language skills and math skills in tandem to make sense of it all.

So what does x equal?  More importantly, what does it mean? What exactly is the slope?  Why does this equation have a +3200 instead of a -3200?

Last year I received the Desk Hop/Scoot activity for linear functions created by a friend and mentor, Valerie Clem Blackburn.  This activity encompasses all the things needed to interpret, write and solve linear functions.  I think it is great as a major grade too and does take some time but is well worth it.  You may download it here.  The first 2 pages are the questions which you only need one copy of, the last 2 are the student WS and you will need one for each student front and back.


Print the problems one sided on colored card stock.  I then laminate and cut each problem separately.  I tape them to the corner of 20 desks or seating areas in the class.

The little orange squares are the Desk Hop Problems.

 



(The yellow ones are mini formula charts that are on there all year.)

They are small and this means kids will need to 'desk hop' or 'scoot' to each problem!  They can't just sit down and read from around the room or solve on the student worksheet.  Sometimes they even have to mingle with other classmates face-to-face with no puppy filters, flashing peace signs, flower crown filters or hashtags!!  Scary huh?



The students are given a student sheet and hop or scoot to each desk as needed.  When first given to me, we were given a set time for each problem of 2 minutes and the teacher or timer prompted us to hop/scoot.  With my kiddos, I discovered to let them move at their own pace but have an end of work time counter on the board to let them see how much time they had left.  I use the kooky classroom timers where we eagerly anticipate which dinosaur or robot will finish first!  I get them online here for FREE!  

I have done this with grades 9-12 and they all needed more than a 52 minute class period to finish.  I did some brief notes at the beginning which you can get here.  These notes were just for review and not initial instruction.


I love that it has them interpret the m and b in context of real scenarios instead of just tell me what it is.  This really challenges them and I feel it is tremendously helpful.  I love it so much that I did another version to use again which you will find here.  I know we still have quadratics and exponentials and radicals to trudge through but you always need practice on the basics!  

For any keys, please feel free to email me at camfan54@att.net from your school or professional account.  I've had students try and email for keys in the past but luckily their email said student! 

Thanks!
Lisa










1 comment:

UNfluence#1Fan said...

Do you have an answer key for 2nd desk hop you made?