Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Show Your Math SpiRiT!!

Because it's THAT time of year....that time where as a singleton teacher, you are trying to avoid writing your Semester Final... yeah, it's that time.  So while I should be toiling away on my very FIRST Math Models Semester Final ever, I am, in actuality, creating a pennants template of course!

Let's back-up a bit (because, of course, this will help with my task avoidance) and go back to that beloved day before Thanksgiving Break.  That wonderful and 'highly productive' day before our blessed nine day break.  That day which our school does not only does as a Pep Rally Schedule where we have shortened periods but ALSO does Mix-It-Up Day where all kinds of zany things happen at lunch.  Always such a peaceful and productive day!

I needed SOMETHING for my kiddos to do!   I needed something fun but educational as many needed to finish their major take-home project.  Then an epiphany!!! Actually a moment while rummaging through all those pre-copied things I had that I didn't get to in the unit so can I use them ah-ha moment!  

I had copied (and cut) all these pennants from an old activity! Instant lesson! Check Teachers Pay Teachers for a plethora of prepared ones! 

I needed to take up some time and also replace my fabulous Turkeys and Pumpkins hanging in the hallway.  Us math folks at Clear Brook can't handle a plain hall... testing week, when it all has to come down, is miserable and dull.  

I had each kiddo take one of each 'kind' of problem.  The activity has twenty different questions 4 to a page with 4 different forms on each page.  I did hand check all problems before they hung them on the yarn I had stretched along the back cabinets.  I cut it and hung it after each class.  I also quickly learned they NEEDED some color so had the rest of the classes decorate theirs.  My kids loved it!  






Then after all the excitement of a successful day... then comes the I know it's going to be time-consuming panic that- they asked to do it again..... Ugh but also a Heck YEAH!!   So I start looking around and then proceed to spend all my money on Christmas Presents!  Ugh.  EVERY. SINGLE PENNY.  

So... here I am, an hour later, still creating this blog after spending the better part of the afternoon making a Pennant Template I can use.  It is a deal more time consuming that the quick (and much preferred) purchase on my favorite teacher resource, Teachers-Pay-Teachers.  

I know that it is not as cute or styled as the available ones are and they are much simpler than those already available but I couldn't help sharing for those of you needing something to create your own Spirit in the Math Classroom!  Or those that are in my same shameful Black Friday Shopping but can't wait for Christmas Predicament!  



You can get my few pennant resources here.  I am also a font junkie so you can download my absolutely favorite font, Janda Curly Girl here for free.  This will allow you to edit the word documents without having to make adjustments for my font formats.  I also included the PDF of an already done Standard to Slope-Intercept Pennant Activity. I am a firm believer in they can NEVER practice this skill too much or enough.  



Here is a new pennant I created on 1-22-18.  It is for multiplying binomials.  I also did a new template with pictures and a little more decor.  Get all resources here for FREE.  I have them saved in both Word and PDF if you do not want to deal with font formatting. You will again need the Janda Curly Girl Font listed above as well as KG Payhone you can get for free here.

For any keys, please feel free to email me at camfan54@att.net from your school or professional account.  I've had students try and email for keys in the past but luckily their email said student! 

Thank you!
Lisa

1 comment:

Math4Titans said...

These are awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!