Friday, March 23, 2018

whY Bingo

So, for the first time in like 7 years, I thought about this bingo game I had put together years ago.  I searched the recesses of my hard drive to come across it thinking it would be great for STAAR Camp.  STAAR is our state standardized test.  As I reviewed it to share with the team, I was thinking.... 'why haven't i used this in forever?!!?!  What a great review and spiraling activity!!!!'  I think, too often, I get excited about something new and forget there are incredible things already here for my students.  I'm also easily excitable about new activities that I often get carried away!

Sometime, over 10 years ago, I came across this incredible Bingo template created by Steve Mashburn in 2001.  It is Ah-maz-ing!!  It creates 25 unique Bingo Cards.



Here is a selection of the cards.  His mastery at work!  I admire people so much that can use Excel to this masterful degree.


Here is his original template.  I've looked extensively for where his original is posted and cannot find it.  There are, however, about a billion teachers who have used, referenced, and published it.  There are quite a few who have provided versions of it for you to use so try googling!  One great site that made several versions you can download for free is I Want to Teach Forever.  You can access their materials here.

So, all those years ago, I created one for Equations (mostly linear).  The essence of my teaching high school math is my students knowing and using y=mx+b.  Surprisingly, there can never be too much practicing, too much reviewing, or too much mastery in this skill.  So that is how I came up with whY Bingo.  It's all about that y.  I used questions that we saw repeatedly on testing and highly missed ones.  This was before our testing and TEKS change so some questions have moved down to intermediate school but are still relevant and necessary fundamentals.  **If you are a intermediate school teacher, be sure and check vocabulary as I know slope and y-intercept are not used in your instruction.**

Below is a close up view of a couple of my student bingo cards:






I used a Power Point as my 'calling cards' instead of strips as these are items that needed to be seen by the students and not just heard.  And some were super long!  These were very basic and just on white slides.  These were my early days of Power Pointing so please forgive. Here are some selected power point slides:


You may download the Power Point here.  I also saved it in PDF here.

The power point says they may fill in a blank Bingo but I've learned this can take an extensive amount of time and that is why I love the template that pre-prints them all mixed up for them.  

Of course, me being me, I did a 30 question Power Point for a 25 question template so I actually have 2 sets of bingo cards getting the extra 5 questions on the spaces.  You can download them in Excel or PDF here.  I have a laminated set of both and just mix them up.  you could also print so the students could work or take notes (and you won't have pinto beans all over your floor ;-))

I think this is excellent review, especially for STAAR or end of the year standardized tests!  Plus they get to play a game.  And why haven't I used it in fever?!?!!?  Ugh!!!  Already done and ready,  so that would have saved me time and as a teacher, we have so much extra time we just need more things to fill that empty void.

Hope you enjoy and please feel free to share or let me know if you see any needed corrections!

Thanks,
Lisa


No comments: